Social Dilemma & Social Presence

 After watching the documentary, the most surprising thing that I learned was when social media apps such as Instagram, Snap Chat and even text message will purposely notify you when someone is "typing". They do that keep our attention towards our phone. They will also send random notifications so that way, we will open our phones and go straight to the app. The information that infected me the most was when they said that social media controls us, we don't control it. To me that's basically saying that we spend so much time on these apps that its become our daily routine. I spend so much time looking at certain pages that it has become addicting. TikTok has taking up majority of my time out of all the apps I used. I can get on there around 11 pm and when I'm finally done looking at all the videos, it's like 2am or 3am in the morning. Facebook will probably be the one I consider changing only because I'm not on there as much as the others. Facebook can also be a very toxic environment depending on the people you have on your page. Also Facebook has had a lot of controversy in the past and even recently. I think we should discuss the fact that our phones especially iPhones (not sure about other phones) will randomly buzz and then when we look at our screen, there's nothing there. At first I thought it was just my phone but other people said they experience the same issue. I personally think they do that to get our attention.

Comments